Welcome to PORCH Charlotte!
PORCH Charlotte is an all-volunteer, grassroots hunger relief organization whose mission is to collect and distribute food for children going hungry in the Charlotte community.
In the Fall of 2015 we learned that, according to NCFoodBanks.org, 1 in 4 children in NC are food insecure. Many of those hungry children are right here in Charlotte. After conducting research, the resounding success of the PORCH Communities was discovered and PORCH Charlotte was created in efforts to make a difference in our hometown.
In November 2015, PORCH Charlotte held its first neighborhood food drive and we have been growing ever since! Currently we serve four schools in Charlotte and provide over 140 meal bags to children in need.
Our focus in on making eliminating childhood hunger in Charlotte as simple and effective as possible for all involved.
How PORCH Works
PORCH is built around the very simple idea of a neighborhood food drive. Here’s how it works, in three easy steps:
- Once a month, on a designated day, residents place a food donation of individual sized-portions on their front porch.
- A volunteer neighborhood coordinator goes porch to porch and picks up the food donations.
- The donated food is transported by car to a central location where it is sorted, packed into backpacks, and then delivered to our partner schools
The three-step process is easy and it’s also fast. With the help of dedicated volunteers, all the food collected from the many neighborhood food drives moves from porch to schools in just a few hours’ time. From there, it goes to children in Charlotte struggling to get enough food to eat.
We support the following PORCH programs:
PORCH Meal Bags
Weekly meal bags are supplied by PORCH Charlotte for children identified as food insecure by school staff .
Our bags contain:
- 3 breakfast options (oatmeal, cereal, grits)
- 3 dinner options (Soup, Macaroni and cheese, Ramen noodles)
- 6 healthy snacks
- Canned meat & vegetables
- Fresh fruit
We also rotate between peanut butter & jelly, pasta and sauce and rice and beans
PORCH / Together We Feed Club at Charlotte Country Day School
Members of the PORCH/Together We Feed (TWF) club at Charlotte Country Day School deliver our PORCH Meal Bags to one our of partner schools, while visiting and being mentor during lunch and recess. The TWF Club also holds food and clothing drives at various times throughout the school year. In addition to visiting our PORCH partner schools they also participate in Together We Feed reading buddies.
We collect in the following neighborhoods. If you don’t see your neighborhood listed, we would love to add you to our list! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Beverly Woods: Alexis Alexis
- Cotswold: Amy Rountrees
- Dilworth: Tina Taylor
- Foxcroft: Lillian Pittroff
- Myers Park: Elizabeth Letts
- Sedgefield: Tina Taylor
- Winding Brook/ Governors Square: Virginia Bird
If you would like to partner with PORCH Charlotte email email@example.com
- Charlotte Country Day School
- Community In Schools
- Together We Feed
If you know of a school or after school program that could benefit from PORCH meal bags email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alexander Graham Middle School
- Charlotte Secondary School
- Nations Ford Elementary School
- Shamrock Gardens Elementary School